Monday, August 11, 2008

Other People's Children...

Okay, we are sitting in church on Sunday morning. I'm not going to say where it is because I don't really think that is relevent. I think that this particular problem is epidemic in the United States.
Behind us is a mother, father, and a small child (a lovely little girl). I bet that child talked for the entire service, and she did not whisper. She talked in her regular voice. She was particulary loud during the sermon, which was good (at least what I could hear of it).
At no time did the parents tell her to be quiet or remove her from the service to avoid annoying the rest of the congregation. I know she could be heard at the front of the church because I could see the eyes of the preacher and others look at her when she was talking.
How do you justify letting your child do that?
I never allowed my children to be loud or annoying in church or at any function. If they could not behave in the appropriate manner, we took them out of earshot.
Rudeness is rampant in our society. Manners are falling by the wayside. Go in any restaurant and see how many men are wearing hats. I see cowboy hats and ball caps. You're not supposed to wear a hat indoors.
But I digress...
If you have little kids, teach them how to behave. This includes sitting quietly during a speech or lecture or sermon. If your child does not learn this early, he or she will have a difficult time when listening skills really matter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!!

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps you are just old and grouchy and forget what it's like to have little kids, Mr. Henry. Sometimes we just want to sit in church too. Maybe you could volunteer to take the little darling out and occupy her time. Enjoy your vacation, F1.

Kathleen... said...

Double Amen!

Common courtesy is an ancient custom, it seems. I demand the same behavior of my children that I'd like to see in others. And my children know how to behave in others' homes -- especially God's.

I feel for the pastor's who have to try to speak over the kids (and their parents) who belong in the Cry Room.