Monday, May 19, 2008

Mockingbird ends its Run

The run of "To Kill a Mockingbird" has finished its run at the Denton Community Theater. Over this weekend, we played to two full houses (Friday and Saturday) and an audience of over 200 people Sunday afternoon (the Campus Theater is about a 280 seat capacity). Thus ends my stage debut.
There is nothing like the feeling of standing in front of an audience who appreciate that people have worked hard entertain them, and I have to say, these audiences were wonderful. There was no doubt that they were paying attention to every aspect of the play.
It was fun, but alot of work, too. I have new respect for the the people who participate in those plays regularly. I got to observe how the director works to keep this thing organized. Just seeing how he broke the play down into manageable pieces to help everyone memorize their lines and blocking was amazing.
Everyone worked hard rehearsing the play and helping with the set, props, and wardrobe.
We were there for nearly two hours yesterday after the last show. Apparently, it is common practice for the cast and crew to "strike the set" immediately after the last show to get ready for the next one. We had to take down all of the scenery, dismantle the platforms, put away all props, and account for all costumes before we could leave. I got a few pictures yesterday that I will post later this evening when I get some time. I know I should have been quicker with the camera. There were alot of shots that I did not get.

Thanks everyone involved, I had a very good time working on this project. I hope we get to work together again next season.

No comments: