Saturday, June 13, 2009

Please go into the light!

Photo without the flash

Photo with a flash
This is weird, I know, but I had to show you all this. I have described it to some of my friends, but it is even hard for me to believe.
I like to have a cigar in my garage with the door up on nicer evenings. In the summertime, when I turn on the garage light, I am barraged(?) (baraged?) by june bugs. They don't hurt anything, but they just bang into me and the walls generally being a nuisance to a relaxing time.
I got this great bug light at Lowe's in Decatur, mainly to keep the mosquitoes off of me in the evening, but it really seems to keep the june bugs occupied. I usually set it on the driveway outside of the garage door. The spots on the driveway are the june bugs gathered around my light. There were quite a few last night, but this was not biggest gathering of them that I have ever witnessed.
The funny thing is that they will not fly into the light; they simply appear to gather around it and love it. They don't come into the garage to bother me; they just sit around the light in a june bug euphoric stupor.
According to MensHealth magazine, about 75% of men find a bug light to be a good form of entertainment. Well, you can count me among them. With a beer, a good cigar, and my bug light, I am set for an hour or so.
Good stuff.

No comments: