Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Economics: Don't Shop at CVS

As you all know, the price of gasoline is going through the roof for a multitude of reasons. The worse part is (thanks to some mean spirited, ignominious paltroons) that I have to drive further than ever to get to work every day to make less money than I was making in 2006. If it weren't for carpooling, I would be in deep doo doo over buying gas.
So, what happens when costs rise mercurially, income remains static (the same)?
Some expenditures have to go to make room for more essential, unavoidable expenses.
As a result of this, I have decided to start removing certain expenditures from my household budget. This the "ripple effect" of the pillaging of consumer America. As costs of necessities rise at an alarming rate, the ability to pay other merchants for non-essential items is reduced. So far, I have cut $100 out of my monthly budget, and I am looking for other ways to cut more without hurting my family.
One way is to stop shopping at CVS. They charge double for many items over what Target charges. Prices for generic items at CVS are close to name brands at Target, and Target's prices for generic brands are way lower than CVS. CVS is a convenience store masquerading as a pharmacy; they certainly charge convenience store prices for merchandise.
Even Walgreen's is more reasonable than CVS. Sometimes I can get toiletries cheaper at Brookshires than CVS.
So...I am done with CVS.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who in their right mind would shop at CVS or Target for that matter? I realize Walmart is a busy store, but when it comes to prices, they are the go to guy! Even their prescriptions are cheaper! I am a type 2 diabetic (yeah, it bites) and my monthly prescribed medication at Walmart is 82 cents! Yep, that's right...82 cents! Now...I understand the lines at Walmart are long, but I'm willing to stand in line a few minutes if it means stretching my puney dollars.

Kevin said...

I agree with that. Since I work in Decatur, I have been going to the Walmart there (since its the only real store in that town). I like that place. I was just saying, comparatively speaking, CVS is "wheels off" on their prices. PMAC says that the pharmacy at Target is very good and also very inexpensive. You have to be out of your mind to shop in there no matter how convenient it might be.

Anonymous said...

Every once in awhile Target has a good price on an item or two, but not enough to warrant me shopping there. I simply take my sale ad to Wal-mart and they will price match. They will price match just about any competitor, Kroger, Albertson's, Brookshire. More often than not, the item is even a few cents cheaper than the competitor's sale price. Now granted, Target does a better job at keeping the store clean and organized, but Walmart is getting better. Again, I've gotta stretch my puney dollars.