Sunday, January 27, 2008

Denton County Commissioner, Precinct 1

Commissioner White's people just came to the front door of my house. The guy had to walk by a couple of Hugh Coleman for Commissioner signs to get to my door. I hope the guy possessed sufficient awareness to know that Coleman is running against Cynthia White. He asked me if I was aware of Commissioner White's accomplishments. I told him that I knew Commissioner White.
The brochure he handed me is kind of interesting. The majority of information as to her qualifications have to do with her being a personal trainer, a singer in a garage band, and that she writes columns. The last column of hers that I read had to do with her battle with breast cancer. Anyone doing battle with that horrible disease has my respect and prayers for strength and healing.
However, being a personal trainer, garage band singer, and cancer patient hardly qualifies one to lead or even manage a government the size of Denton County's.
Hugh Coleman is an attorney who has actually worked to advise Denton County department heads, including the Sheriff, and representing the interests of Denton County in state and federal court.
Let us not forget the futile expense that Judge Horn and Commissioner White have given the taxpayers in their Quixotic quest to continue losing litigation against Tarrant County over the boundary dispute. We lost! Let's move on. We can move on by electing a new commissioner in precinct 1.
My problem with her and Judge Horn are the fact that they consistently are willing to sacrifice the well-being of county employees in order to squeeze funds into their pet projects. In my opinion, most of those projects are not as important as taking care of the people who do the work for the county government.
Hugh Coleman is a former county employee who has, like me, felt the sting of being overlooked by the holders of the county purse strings. I think he understands the priorities of good county government.

No comments: