Monday, January 28, 2008

The State of the Union Address for 2008

I just finished listening the President's State of the Union address for 2008. It was a clear speech that spelled out specific bullet points. If you were paying attention to the TV coverage, you got a very good idea of who are the friends of you, the American people, and who are your enemies. By enemies, I mean people who would sacrifice the good of the majority of the people for the benefit of a small group or to forward their own interests.
I am specifically referring to the part of the speech where the President was discussing the Economic Stimulus Plan designed to put money back in our pockets. When he discussed the need to put the economy in the hands of the consumer, he first talked about the tax rebate that he is trying to pass for immediate relief. Next, he moved into imploring Congress not to let taxes increase and to work to leave the money of the American consumer in their own pockets. On each point, the Republicans stood and cheered about the thought of taxes not being increased or even being reduced eventually. However the Democrats tried as hard as they could to sit and not applaud. I told my wife, "Do you see the ones sitting down when he talks about letting us keep our money? They are the ones that want more of your money. They want a bigger piece of your paycheck."
I couldn't believe the brazenness of the ones showing so dramatically how strongly and passionately they wanted to increase taxes and take more of our money.
Another point was where the President was demanding a reduction in earmark and entitlement spending. Again, the tax-happy democrats sat like statues while the Republicans stood and cheered at the prospect of less spending in favor of small groups to leave more for the common good and protection of America.
Finally, I wonder of the hypocrisy of Nancy Pelosi has any bounds. If so, there was no evidence of such boundaries in sight. I watched her smile and shake the President's hand as I listened the liberal CBS commentators quote her comments such as "poor baby, even his own party has abandoned him" regarding the President. I want to leave you with a fact that illustrates the motivation and hypocrisy of that woman. Recently, Congress voted to increase the minimum wage for workers. The increase was effective for all workers except the fish cannery workers in American Samoa. You know the brands: Starkist and Chicken of the Sea. Both of those companies are subsidiaries of Del Monte, which is based in San Fransisco. San Francisco is in Speaker Pelosi's district. She used her clout to save a company in her district from the increased production expense of a higher minimum wage. Apparently, she is in favor of deciding what employers should pay workers unless it affects her wealthy constituents.
CBS had some guy who claimed to be some kind of historian to comment on the Address and President Bush's legacy. I had to get up and leave because the guy was such a buffoon and clearly so biased against President Bush, that he could not fairly evaluate the Address.
It is difficult to assess his legacy of the future. The best thing he did for our country, to my thinking, is to protect us from further attacks and to do the best he could to strengthen our nation's defenses. He did a great deal to mend the damage done by the Slick Willy's administration. We have people working now to stop further attacks and to keep the Taliban and Al Quaeda on the run.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made some interesting points. What did you think of the Democrats Response?

Anonymous said...

Kevin:

Bush has spent our children's futures for a war that should have never taken place. And, Osama bin Laden is still out there. Who were our brave military men and women going after? What exactly is their mission in Iraq? It was probably difficult for some people to stand and applaud Bush when he acts like he is trying to save the American people their money. And, on the one hand you deride Pelosi's seeming hypocrisy and then you deride the people who didn't stand and applaud for something they disagree with. Which way do you want it?

My two cents, Ann

Kevin said...

V.
I haven't listened to the democrat response yet. I had to leave the room when that hater posing as a historian for CBS started talking bad about the President. I suspect I will watch that this evening. My attention span was running low that time of night anyway.

Ann,
If you want to find the cause of the things you discuss, you have to look past President Bush. President Bush has done all he could to protect us after Billy Clinton left us with mere remnants of an international intelligence community. President Bush I had everyone's love and respect, and he struck some fear in the hearts of our enemies. He made the mistake of acting like a democrat and raising taxes instead of cutting the fat from the budget. President Reagan kept our enemies at bay by his mere presence. Do you remember how fast we got our hostages back after he took office. Carter had bungled the whole thing.
I am so glad that President Bush has done what he has done to keep the terrorists on the run. Above all, I want my government to keep us safe.
As for Nancy Pelosi, the fact that she is in the position she holds scares the H*ll out of me. If you're not afraid, you should realize that she is third in the succession line to be president. I have absolutely no use for that woman. You don't know about her because the liberal left wing media protects her that way they did Clinton. Or did you not realize he had us involved in a civil war in another country?

Anonymous said...

Kevin:

Why do you lecture me like I'm some kind of idiot and why do you assume that I'm on the side of Pelosi. Yes, I realize she's third in line to the post of president. And, frankly, that is worrisome to me also. Yes, I remember that Reagan got the hostages back within hours. And, what media do you get all of your information from and why do you assume I get mine from somewhere different. President Bush never had "everyone's" love and respect and I do not believe he has struck FEAR in anyone.

Ann

Kevin said...

Ann,
You are not an idiot. You are one of the smartest people I know. I have nothing but respect for you, and I enjoy visiting with you always. None of that is directed at you. We are having an open discussion in the blog comments. Some people who may read this will not have the knowledge that you and I have. I always like to explain the bases for my opinions instead of just laying them out there naked, as it were. Please don't think I'm lecturing you.

Kevin said...

Besides, it appears to be proper blog comment etiquette to directly address the comment one is responding to so other readers can link the arguments up.