Sunday, December 9, 2007

Motorcycles

1979 Honda Hawk 400cc motorcycle

I used to ride a bike just like one of these in law school in Lubbock. It was great. I could get back and forth to school for two weeks on two gallons of gas. Not that gas was real expensive back then, but come on, I was in law school. I had no money.

I never felt threatened or in danger in Lubbock. Perhaps that was my own naivete, but Lubbock was not anything like the big city it is now. I always wore a helmet, and I even put a windshield on it to keep road debris out of my face.

After I graduated from law school and passed the bar exam, I moved to Dallas and brought my motorcycle with me. I actually rode it one time on LBJ. I had never been so afraid in my life. I put it up for sale the next day. I knew that I could be careful, but when you ride a bike, you are putting alot of faith in the attentiveness and ability of other drivers in cars and trucks.

I love riding a motorcycle, but I'm done with it. If the US became like Bermuda, for instance, where riding two-wheelers was a way of life for everyone who had to get back and forth to work, I would ride again. It's safer when all drivers are on the same terms, but a motorcycle is never on the same terms with a car or a truck in a collision.


No comments: