Saturday, February 23, 2008

Proposed Letter to the Editor of the Record-Chronicle

LETTER TO THE EDITOR:
I received Cynthia White's latest campaign mailing. I was appalled at the liberty she takes with the facts. I refer to the point that Hugh lost his job when the D.A. changed after the election.
The firing of 25 employees by Paul Johnson was a purely arbitrary political firing and nothing more. I was one of those twenty-five employees that Paul Johnson fired when he took office. I loved my job, I was good at my job, and I enjoyed serving Denton County every minute I was there.
Hugh Coleman was the same way: a smart attorney who worked hard. Among other things, he protected the citizens of Denton County by successfully defending the county against lawsuits. He was good at his job.
To see the firing of Hugh, me, or any of the others as anything other than political retaliation by Paul Johnson is wrong. For Cynthia White to use this fact to forward her own campaign is unfair on the most basic level.
The fact that Cynthia White seeks to injure Hugh by pointing out that he lost his job after the election of 2006 shows how far she will go to win the election. The ad deceives the voters by insinuating that Hugh deserved to lose his job. I assure you, he did not.
Not only does she seek to harm Hugh with the fact that he lost his job through no fault of his own, she insults 24 other former employees of the Denton County D.A.'s Office who fell victim to the politician’s axe. I took the ad as a slap in the face by my County Commissioner. She apparently believes that my family and I deserved what happened to us. I guess she believes that Hugh and his family deserved to be treated that way, too.
The fact that Commissioner White seeks to benefit from our misfortune is reprehensible. Hugh Coleman is a good man, a good attorney, and would be a good county commissioner.

Kevin L. Henry

No comments: