Saturday, February 23, 2008

Unethical, Misleading Campaign Literature from Cynthia White

I received Cynthia White's latest campaign mailing today.

I can't believe she has stooped to this level in her campaign.
She states that the fact that Paul Johnson fired Hugh Coleman, along 24 other human beings, when he took office should be considered as a reason not to vote for Hugh.
Hugh Coleman is trying to unseat Cynthia White from the Denton County Commissoiners' Court.

The firing of 25 employees by Paul Johnson ranks as one of larger injustices I have ever seen or experienced in my lifetime. It was a completely arbitrary and capricious act by the District Attorney. I would call it mean spirited and totally unreasonable. I never did anything in my work to merit such treatment. I never did anything personally to Paul Johnson that called for such mistreatment by him.

I was one of the twenty-five employees that Paul Johnson fired when he took office. Most of those people were fine, dedicated public servants who performed their duties with intelligence and passion.
I was a very good employee with nothing but excellent evaluations on the way I did my job. God was looking out for me because I was able to continue as a criminal prosecutor with the Wise County District Attorney's Office.

Hugh Coleman was the same way. An excellent attorney who did his best at his job all the time. He received excellent evaluations and maintained an excellent relationship with the Sheriff's Office, including time with Benny Parkey, the current Sheriff.

To see the firing or Hugh, me, or any of the others as anything besides paltroonish political retaliation by Paul Johnson is wrong and unfair. The fact that Cynthia White seeks to injure Hugh by pointing out that he lost his job after the election of 2006 shows how unscrupulous she is. The ad is totally misleading by insinuating that any of us needed to be terminated or deserved to be fired.

You are already aware of the fact that Cynthia White accepts campaign money from contractors and consultants who stand to gain by received contracts with Denton County. She has admitted it in the newspaper, and she sees nothing wrong with that. Apparently, she also sees nothing wrong with misleading the voters about her opponent.

This mailing with this information was purely an act of desperation on the part of Cynthia White. I, as a precinct 1 voter, have had enough of her nonsense and wasteful government.

VOTE FOR HUGH COLEMAN FOR COUNTY COMMISSIONER IN DENTON COUNTY.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul Johnson is an ASS

LovesDenton said...

Though I can symphatize with the feelings, please avoid attacks and try to focus on the issues and what really went on. I don't know if that is appropriate dialog for a rational discussion. I don't know Mr. Johnson at all, so others that know him can chime in, but please be civil.

I think Mr. Johnson is either clueless, or has no backbone. I heard Bill Trantham contributed big $$ (was it $10,000 or less?) to Johnson's campaign to get the right to pick who to fire, and Mr. Johnson went along with it. Not clear to me if this was explicit or implicit. I also heard Trantham saw an opportunity in all the hubris to pull some very sneaky retribution against public servants, which is an absolute outrage. Anyone hear anything different?
I've heard, though, that Johnson is starting to realize what Trantham's all about -- who knows, maybe Johnson will get some backbone. Not much consolation to all those unjustly fired. Anyone vaguely familiar with the DA's office (I didn't work there, and am not an attorney) knows that it is laughable to suggest the attorneys were fired for anything other than political reasons.

So, clueless, or no backbone, or something else? Any thoughts?

Crud Bonemeal said...

To LovesDenton:
You could be my new hero. I love Denton, too, and I hate what has happened to it through the county government.
I had heard that Trantham made a big contribution to Johnson. It does not surprise me that he wanted a say in who Johnson kept or fired.
I believe that the defense bar has control of the DA office based upon what I read in the paper about the way they are dismissing serious cases left and right.
I heard that Hardy Burke donated $10,000 to Johnson and then received Hugh Coleman's job in return. How can he take that oath that he gave nothing of value in return for his appointment? (By the way: I also hear that Hardy is only working about 3 hours a day and the Sheriff can't get an opinion out of him even when he can find him.)
I also heard that Ricky Perrit gave alot of money to have a say in who get fired, and he wanted to get Jamie Beck in a position of power (i.e.-the first assistant), and now Perritt has puppet control of Johnson and the first assistant.
I also heard that Johnson got the endorsement from the Record-Chronicle by promising never to seek the death penalty in any case as long as he is the DA. How about that DRC? Is that true?
Knowing that the toughest prosecutors in the DA's Office were let go is plenty of proof the the defense attorneys run the DA's Office. For crying out loud, a lifetime defense attorney (Tom Whitlock) is in charge of felony prosecutions.

LovesDenton said...

Thanks for the compliment. But ( and this is not false modesty )
I think the real heroes are the people that are standing up
for what's right, at personal risk (i.e. their political careers, or loss of $$ is not getting govt contracts, or not getting a road built by their land, or just by putting their neck on the line, etc., etc.)

It bothers me when people whisper that change needs to
be made, but they won't come out publicly or stand up for what is right. I guess I shouldn't
criticize them, not being in their shoes, and there is some truth to the argument that you can be effective sometimes by working behind the scense, but I don't know -- to me, on their deathbed, I think they're going to wish they
had done the right thing. Regardless, you have to hand it to those who are standing up publicly for what's right.

My main focus is just to find out what really happened, both
in the DA's office, and what is really going on in the
city and county governments. Back to the DA's office, sounds
like there are different rumors about Johnson's contributors.
That has to be publicly filed -- can anyone find the list
and post it?

I've never met Johnson; I haven't heard anything
that says he's dishonest -- from what I've heard, I just believe that he's clueless or has no backbone, but I'd like to hear from others. How would people characterize his
work before he became DA? (Please, be objective and fair, and limit your comments w/in those guidelines)
Was he a star in the office? Was it true he was fired because
he was lazy, or was it political? (Please try to be objective and fair)

Anonymous said...

I work with paul and I can honestly say that until the election for DA I thought he was an honest albeit lazy prosecutor. Now he I think he is dishonest and lazy.

From what I understand he was given many oppurtunities to straighten out his act before he was let go by the previous DA. However, in his defense there were several assitant da's who lazy as well and were not let go when paul was not reappointed.

In sum, he has been a disaster....the people who he choose to hire show his real stripes. Tom Whitlock, Jaime Beck - all lifelong democrats who never saw a dismissal they didnt like. And if you read the paper....apparently its open season on killing gay men in denton (didnt they recently dismiss a case for murder after indictment by the grand jury?)